Sunday, February 15, 2009

Universe of Constants

Before I entertain you with my brilliant storytelling of the night that actually has something to do with the title of this post, I have a different random story to rant about. 
Facebook. El libro de cara. I have my ups and downs with this site. Some days I will guiltily be glued to it, and other days i sware to be too "above" it and could care less.. (Always a lie, by the way. Even though most of my time on Facebook is spent trying to figure out what the hell 'poking' is... If anyone wants to tell me the point of it, please do!) Anyways, so as most of the people with Facebook probably know, its normal to friend request people you know, or even just kind of know, but most of the time you friend request those who go to the same school as you, live in the same area, share the same friends, etc. I'm not really fond of friend requesting people in the first place. I guess I would rather have people request me. (Does that make me a facebook snob??) 
Well, today, I became a fan of the Southern Gothic Productions group. And since alot of the people who are also part of the group comment on their blog (check out their blog to show support! =] ) I was going through the list of fans and friend requesting them, because I am assuming most would understand and know me from the blog. Well, I obviously was not paying attention, and by the end of the list I went back to look it over, and I noticed two guys with the last name Burton... and i'm thinking it might be the brothers of Hilarie Burton, a.k.a the co-creator of SoGoPro... and I feel like a complete idiot, because, since they wouldn't know me from the blog, they will probably think i'm alot sketchier than I am.. I mean i'm weird, but not in that way ;]
So, if anyone wants to share their embarrassing friend request stories, please share so I can make myself feel better. Or maybe I am just reading too much into friend requesting... Would poking be more appropriate?

Alright, I will get back on the title topic just to stop the confusion...
Things change in life all the time, right? I mean events change, people change, decisions take us in different directions... but it feels really good when you can depend on things. But i mean really depend on things.
And it doesn't have to be something big to rely on. For example, as corny as it might sound, there is this one star that shines right in the center of my window every night, and no matter what, it is there. The days where all I want to do is go to sleep, so i throw myself on the bed, regrets from a bad day racing through my head, and I look over, and the star is in the same exact place I left it. It kinda keeps me sane, you know? Like it reminds me that the world isn't changing as fast as it may seem.
I guess, music is another main constant in my life. I rely on my CD collection to get me through anything and everything, because I know that no matter what, those songs will always be there, and those artists will never fail to save me with their music. (See, thats the good thing about trusty CDs. All you music industry ruiners who download illegal music can just lose all your music in the blink of a computer screen. so HA. that'll teach you...)
So, think about it, and try to think of all the constants in your life. It could be bigger things like family, supportive friends, a job, or the smaller things, like my twinkling star (go ahead, allow yourself to sing the song), and maybe take some time to be grateful for them. You never know when things will change.

Sermon over. =]

Going old school today: listen to "I'll Be Seeing You" by Billie Holiday... because I refused to post a romantic song yesterday...

6 comments:

  1. oh my, I think I actually added one of her brothers a while ago. My story is a little ironic though.. I was on IMDB and I read Hilarie's bio and saw she had brothers John and Conrad and I was like "that sounds familiar..." and I remembered my childhood friends were a group of brothers (the Burtons) and two of them were John and Conrad (the other two were Jeremy and Chris) so I went on facebook searching for them, not even thinking her brothers would be on Facebook for me to mistakenly add them, but since no one I added was in a NC network I figured I was safe either way. One of them (John) messaged me though and said "I don't know you." I apologized and he just said "don't let it happen again." I was able to click on his profile because he messaged me and I saw he was going "home" to Wilmington that week or something.... so I put two and two together. I was pretty embarassed!!! I'm pretty sure it's her bro but I could be wrong. All I know is that it wasn't my friend!!

    I think I saw you on the SGP fan page... should I add you and be a creeper?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved the post lol..

    If your talking about the original facebook poking then its just a thing to tell your friends your thinking of them (I think) the Super Poke application... well I dunno about that lol.

    I don't add that many people on facebook either like there are people who know 20+ of the people I know but we never hung out in high school so its kinda odd requesting them.. kinda weird how that is..

    btw you can add me on facebook if you want, just look up Cody Stowers and I'm the guy with the red mustang picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha okay well that story makes me feel a little better and worse at the same time.. its good that i'm not the only one who does embarrassing things on facebook, but bad that i might get the same reaction? haha oh well.

    and i just accepted your friend request ;]

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi again cody =]
    thank you for reading my ramblings, again...
    and thanks for the poking information, although i still find it really weird lol

    and i just friend requested you as well ;]

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your story! and love your blog by the way! :D I know it's just in the beginning stages, but blogging is a really great platform to get things out. :D I had this one chick from my middle school request to be my friend on facebook, and i'm thinking, "Uh. we were NEVER friends...In fact, you hated me and my friends in school...and you even threatened to kick my butt...why should i accept you??" And I told my friend Kelley about it and she was like, "Well maybe she changed and she's trying to make up for it." And I was like, "Or she's one of those people on Facebook who just wants to have a massive amount of friends so they can pretend to be popular...(which i dislike)"

    So, i end up friending this chick...and she hasn't written on my wall or sent me a message or anything since i friended her....3 months ago! Yeah...so I unfriended her. hahahahaha

    I still don't know about the whole poking thing. it's a mystery to me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha oh god. people can be horrible sometimes. Atleast you acknowledged that she may have changed by accepting her request, even though she obviously didn't... well atleast she was way more embarrassed than you haha I would have unfriended her a while ago!

    and thank you for reading =] it means alot

    ReplyDelete