Monday, February 16, 2009

shameless advertising, inspirations, and late resolutions

Inspiration. That's what today has been all about for me.
It started by waking up to "What's So Funny 'bout Peace Love and Understanding" by Elvis Costello on my alarm clock (which will most likely be Nicole's blog song recommendation for the day) That song always inspires me. It "found" me after the Virginia Tech shootings, which I think was the same moment I really fell in love with Elvis Costello. Although the beat and melodies may not match the situation, the lyrics fit perfectly, and it gave me inspiration on that day just by allowing me to relate to something. At the time I just felt so confused, and that song, and Elvis, let me know, as usual, that I'm not alone in that feeling.
Gotta love some cheesy music loving =]

continuing on my cheesy run.. (ha. that made me giggle) and continuing on my day, I read the new blog update on SoGoPro (you know you wanna visit) by Miss Hilarie Burton... which just reinvigorated my love for the arts. It was perfect timing for that post, which was written beautifully, might I add...
and I just read Megan Mary's blog (shameless advertising number two) who I found through SoGoPro connections. Her blog was inspired by Hilarie's blog, and now it inspired me, and everything it just coming round full circle today! Definitely check it out =]

So... today I dug up my resolutions list. For the past five years I have written down all my resolutions on this one sheet of paper. No one knows about it except me, and I guess now the millions of people on the internet (i guess THATS not a secret anymore...)
It's not really a new years resolution type thing, because I write them down whenever, but I only really look at it about twice a year, on the days where I am feeling inspired, because I guess thats when I am most likely to write down what I truly want.
I was able to cross off two things that I have accomplished by now.. and no i am not going to divulge all my personal hopes and dreams to you strange people on the internet.. such as my resolution to single-handedly save each child from poverty, create world peace, and create the first all-girl rock band on the moon.....
ha. just kidding. except about the third one... =P
I was thinking of my new ones, while looking at my old ones, all at the same time as thinking about all the inspiring things I have read today, and I finally wrote down "to get the NYC internship and really TRY at it."
So, the story with this internship is: I have wanted to do it for two summers now, and last summer, I was going to apply, but i never sent in the application because I was being a baby and got intimidated by the whole thing. and i have regretted it ever since.
The thing is, i KNOW i would be good at it, and i KNOW i would love it, but for some reason i can't bring myself to really believe it... I would be interning on film sets through this one company that places interns (If i got it), so I'm just worried I don't have enough experience. I mean, I have been around tv production all my life with all the classes I have taken but I've never been part of a, like, real deal project before, if you know what i mean.
But thats enough self-doubt for the day, because after reading everyone else's dreams, its about time for me to accomplish mine.
I just printed out the application. wish me luck.


and as promised, check out "(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding" by Elvis Costello... and pay more attention to the lyrics, than the melody. trust me =]

4 comments:

  1. Nicole - that was the seriously the SWEETEST comment ever you left on my blog!!! (and thanks for the plug :)..)

    I think that is really cool that you've kept a list of your resolutions. That's actually inspiring to ME!! I'll probably need to go write a bucket list now (at the ripe old age of 21).

    As for your internship - GO FOR IT!!! I understand what you say about being intimidated, that's how I've felt about a lot of things in life until recently. I'm at the point where whether I win or lose, it's the fact that I tried at all that really matters. If you think you don't have enough experience, don't let that hold you back! I'm sure you have plenty of experience for an entry-level internship type of position (they aren't looking for professionals of course!)... and some places just want to hire the person with the most drive and dedication and from what it sounds like, you have plenty of both!!! Good luck!! Get that application in pronto - you have nothing to lose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. alright well that was definitely the SWEETEST comment anyone has ever left on my blog =] haha. thank you so much, seriously.

    && I am currently filling out the application, but it is like deja vu from last year. ahh! lol but i have more support now =] and inspiration... gotta love blogging ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's so cool nikki!!! i'm so glad you're applying!! sometimes you gotta start small to get to the big dreams! :D so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete