Wednesday, February 18, 2009

advice on selling my soul?

I have been sitting here staring at a blank screen for an hour now, watching the stupid cursor blink on and off, and on and off.
I fought my urge to write a blog entry, because I know i should be writing the essay instead... well screw it. i like you guys better anyways. =]
this is me being stubborn.

I always hated the first day in elementary schools. Do you know why? because you had to write those freaking "hopes and dreams" notes and fill in forms for your teacher that describes you so your teacher would know you in under five words... Who ever tells the truth on those anyways?
One of the essays for the application for the internship is to write about "what personality traits, attitudes, communication style, and work ethic will you bring to the internship?"
I hate these prompts. Does anyone else feel self-centered describing all the seemingly "good qualities" about yourself? and worse yet, what if you don't live up to what you say? What if i think I have a quality, when I really only wish I did?
Wow, that's alot of self doubt. ha. okay i'm done with the self pity rantings but..

Can someone really get to know you through the definition of yourself?
I guess that's where separate recommendations come in...
I feel like i'm selling my soul.
any advice on how to do it well? =]


check out "Back to Where I Was" by Eric Hutchinson
refreshing voice and an acoustic guitar =happiness

"I resolve to regain my voice"

3 comments:

  1. oh wow... Yea I hate those prompts too!!! I think the best thing to do is ask someone you work with or a friend/family member to answer the question for you and repeat what they say in the most humble way possible :)

    Instead of saying "I'm really good at being a leader" say "I really enjoy leading a group in working towards a common goal"... Honestly, if you check out personality tests online they highlight some pretty important traits. Tests that use a rating scale like "strongly agree - strongly disagree" have good examples. (As a Psych. major, I would strongly suggest you use phrases from personality tests to highlight your positive traits!!) :)

    p.s. thanks again for your advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you could always be like...

    "I'm extremely humble...and that's not even my BEST quality..."

    ;) jk. i know how nerve wracking those things are. they suck. you should be like...

    "well i do everything you do...just better." hahahahahaha no. don't do that. unless you're going for comic relief. ;) megan gave some great advice. i'd go with that. but i do feel your pain...just better.

    okay i'm done. sorry...i know this didn't help. i hope it all works out though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^^ hahaha.. well those sound PERFECT. atleast I would win in making them laugh.. not sure if they are looking for that exactly though... lol thank you though


    and megan I guess i have to trust you if you are a psych. major, huh? lol thank you for the advice though i think that personality test will really help... I never did it last night but i'm going to give it another go tonight after I take the test and see how it works out... hopefully i get some version of a first draft down!

    ReplyDelete